By Stephen L. Harp
A international historical past of Rubber is helping readers comprehend and achieve new insights into the social and cultural contexts of world creation and intake, from the 19th century to this day, in the course of the attention-grabbing tale of 1 commodity.
- Divides the assurance into subject matters of race, migration, and exertions; gender on plantations and in factories; call for and daily intake; international Wars and nationalism; and resistance and independence
- Highlights the interrelatedness of our global lengthy prior to the age of globalization and the worldwide social inequalities that persist today
- Discusses key techniques of the 19th and 20th centuries, together with imperialism, industrialization, racism, and inequality, throughout the lens of rubber
- Provides an enticing and available narrative for all degrees that's jam-packed with archival study, illustrations, and maps
Read or Download A World History of Rubber: Empire, Industry, and the Everyday PDF
Best world history books
Such a lot writing approximately process has inquisitive about person strategic theorists or nice army leaders. This e-book focuses as a substitute at the messy tactics during which rulers and states have framed process some time past - an issue of important useful value to strategists, and of significant curiosity to scholars of method and statecraft.
Richard Dunn reconstructs the lives of 3 generations of slaves on a sugar property in Jamaica and a plantation in Virginia, to appreciate the starkly diversified varieties slavery took. lethal paintings regimens and rampant affliction between Jamaican slaves distinction with inhabitants growth in Virginia resulting in the promoting of slaves and breakup of households.
St. Joseph and Benton Harbor portrays dual towns with very varied personalities weathering a time of serious switch. lengthy demonstrated as thriving facilities of producing, fruit farming, delivery, and tourism, either cities confronted the big financial and cultural modifications of post-World struggle II the US: speedy demographic shifts, city renewal, social unrest, and the cave in of commercial production.
Bell's AH-1 Cobra used to be the 1st committed helicopter gunship to arrive frontline carrier anyplace on the earth. constructed as a personal enterprise via the producer, and according to the mechanics of the ever-present UH-1 Huey, the Cobra proved an important good fortune as soon as brought into wrestle with the USA military in 1966.
- The Satiric Decade: Satire and the Rise of Republican Political Culture in France, 1830-1840
- The Paris Zone: A Cultural History, 1840-1944
- The D Day Landings
- Networks of Music and Culture in the Late Sixteenth and Early Seventeenth Centuries: A Collection of Essays in Celebration of Peter Philips’s 450th Anniversary
- Peasants and Lords in Modern Germany: Recent Studies in Agricultural History: Volume 9 (Routledge Library Editions: Rural History)
- People Power: Fighting for Peace from the First World War to the Present
Extra info for A World History of Rubber: Empire, Industry, and the Everyday
A World History of Rubber: Empire, Industry, and the Everyday by Stephen L. Harp